Sunday, March 1, 2015

Fiction Writing Happens.

Hey everyone! Happy first day of March - it's so weird that it's March already. I'm kind of excited, kind of scared, kind of want to curl up into a ball and disappear. But on the bright side, I think we're finally out of the tremendously cold part of winter and ready to see some warmer days here in the arctic tundra that is Vermont!

Since my life hasn't been terribly exciting lately, I wanted to use this blog post to share some of my fiction writing with you guys! I'm only going to share the first page or so because some of it gets a little explicit, but also because I want to get you all as excited about this class as I am!

Enjoy, it's called "Search and Destroy."

November 28, 2014.


He knows her from work. Chelsea. She has long brown hair that dips down her back in a perfect U-shape when she wears it down, but she usually has it up in a bun or a ponytail. Blue eyes slanted down slightly with teeth that are just a little yellow and a little crowded. Her forehead is peppered with a few pimples. Her hips hug her jeans. Her breasts perk up in everything from t-shirts to blouses.
He has known Chelsea for a couple of years now, joining her for the occasional lunch date or catching up about classes – they both attend Florida State University. She is bright with a little too much cynicism. Not a bad girl, but not a great one either.

Chelsea

Are you going out later?
                                                                                Probably. What about you?←
→ I was hoping to.
Wanna meet up somewhere?
                                                                                    Sure. Frat house raging?←
→ You know it.
                                                                             Cool, I'll be there around 11.←

He tucks the phone into his jeans and eyes his wrist – 10:17 p.m. The drunken screams of college kids tear through the cracks in his bedroom window like the bitter cold in winter, ringing in the back of his ears. The night has already begun for them. He decides what he's wearing isn't suitable for a frat party, subbing out dull black jeans and a blue t-shirt for a pair of beige khakis and a crimson button-up.

 He takes a few shots of vodka with his roommates. The bitter taste wafts into his nostrils with a sharp sting, burning his esophagus. He doesn't know what to do with his hands. He runs them through his hair and rests them on his thighs, where they stay planted like trees for uncomfortable periods of time. His face struggles in gashes of red to break free from the unbearable alcoholic heat.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with it yet and of course there's more to it, but if you're interested just let me know and I can share it with you! I've found that I love writing over the years and this class has helped me to develop my creative writing skills more and focus on aspects of writing I never used to think about as much such as small details and what tense/perspective a story is being told from.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments as well, I'd love to get feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment