Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Story of My Roommate.

Hey y'all!

So since the semester's been dragging on and I haven't really done anything exciting within the last week, I figured I'd focus this week's post on my roommate Jesse. He's come up a few times on here, and I bet at least some of you are wondering how we came to be friends, so here goes!

Jesse and I went to high school together in Saint Albans, Vermont at a school called Bellows Free Academy. It's funny, because we never used to talk too much while we were there, but we were locker neighbors all four years of school (go figure). When the time for applying to colleges came around during our senior year, we were talking in-between classes one day like we usually did about whatever came up, and he brought up his acceptance to Saint Michael's.

I remember feeling really excited because I had applied there and was waiting for my letter of acceptance as well, so I asked him immediately if he wanted to be roommates. I wasn't a fan of the whole random roommate assignment thing, and I figured it'd be better to at least know someone a bit beforehand if you're going to room with them for at least a year. He said yes, and we began talking a lot more over the summer before coming to Saint Michael's as freshmen.

Needless to say it was a huge success! Things were a little awkward at first, but we immediately began opening up to each other more and becoming closer friends than we ever were in high school. It's hard not to get to know someone when you're living with them, and now I'm wondering why we didn't talk more in high school! (I guess I know that actually, we had different from groups and hardly ever had classes together).

So now, almost three years later, we've had so many amazing times together and I don't regret asking him to be my roommate one bit.

This is one of Jesse our freshman year when he was going out to a dinner for his work study - lookin' spiffy!
This is probably my favorite picture of us because we look so ridiculous! This was after a trip to GoodWill sophomore year, where Jesse found a box that sang a somewhat creepy tune when you open it.
Jesse and I in our natural habitats sophomore year - priceless!

This was is from earlier this year, where we went to Vergennes, VT to race in a Color Run 5K that benefits local charities! We loved it so much we ran it twice!
If you already go to SMC or if you're thinking about coming, your roommate can really make or break your experience. This isn't saying that the random roommate selection process is always bad - I've seen more than a few roommates become best friends because of it! Just giving someone a chance can show you a lot more about a person than you'd think, and who knows, maybe your current or future roommate will become a great friend of yours too!

No comments:

Post a Comment