Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall Break Rhode Island!

Hey everyone!

So, fall break has finally arrived - a nice, four-day weekend to catch up on school work, do some traveling, and relax! This fall break, I decided to come down to Rhode Island to visit my friend Ian, who I went to technical schooling with for the Air Force down in Mississippi this past summer! I've never driven out of state on my own before, so this was a pretty big adventure, but four and a half hours later, I arrived safe and sound in Johnston, Rhode Island.


Ian showed me around Rhode Island, and the first on our list of stops was his high school, Johnston Senior High School, where we watched is younger sister play a volleyball game. Later, we went to the University of Rhode Island in Providence, where I went to my first college football game!


Look how huge that stadium was! To get up to the bleachers, we had to go up multiple staircases! Coming from Vermont to here was definitely a huge change, especially going to Saint Mike's where we don't have football teams.

After seeing the college life, we decided to go out to downtown Providence and visit the Providence Mall and Thayer Street, a street bustling with excitement, tourism, and a whole lot of restaurants, outlets, and other places to explore.



The buildings were huge, and Providence Mall was a blast! I go back to Saint Michael's on Tuesday, but I've been loving my mini vacation here in Rhode Island so far. There's even a little river by the mall where they put on a "fire on the water" show that lights up the night by lighting flames along small sections of the river (unfortunately they didn't put one on last night though - bummer!)

I hope you've all been having a great fall break too! If you're worrying about homework or stressing out, remember to take some time to enjoy the world around you! Sticking to your studies and doing well is imperative, of course, but exploring and being with friends is a huge part of the college experience too!

Today is mine and Ian's "homework" day (since he's in college as well), but tomorrow we'll be going on one last adventure before my departure around the city! College is definitely a balancing act, but when am I going to be in Rhode Island again? Might as well enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment