Sunday, February 9, 2014

Drill Weekend.

Sorry about the hecticness of my blog posts lately, but now that it's 11 at night and I've gotten at least some homework done, I figured I'd fill you all in on why my schedule's been kind of crazy lately - a little thing called drill weekend.

Basically, since I'm a part of the Vermont Air National Guard unit, my commitment is going to work on the base nearby in Winooski one weekend per month and performing 15 training days throughout the year. As you can imagine, things can get pretty hectic along with balancing school work and a social life, but it's actually a really sweet deal that has gotten me to expand my horizons more than I ever thought possible while helping me out tremendously with school expenses - definitely a win-win!

My job is identified by the AFSC (Air Force Speciality Code) 3D131, but in English, that basically means I work in Information Technology, helping customers set up their computers, printers, telephones and the like. It's been an interesting and challenging experience to learn this job for sure, but every drill weekend that comes around is always full of complex work to do and rewarding new things to learn.

This is Chief Cody, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, giving a speech a few months ago at the 158th Fighter Wing (my base) - a really nice guy!

We work, don't get me wrong, but we like to have fun too!
My primary goal is to pass many tasks and "test" into my next training level in order to upgrade in my career, and let me tell you there's a lot to do in order for that to happen, but I've been steadily chipping away at it while juggling school full-time as well! I may make a permanent career out of the Air Force after graduating from Saint Mike's next year as well, but who knows what time will bring!

I hope that gave you all at least a brief look into the sometimes complicated world of the military, and I'll definitely be writing more about it as time goes on! 

Well I'll catch you all on Tuesday with another post, maybe I should make awkward moments a weekly/bi-weekly thing? They happen to me often enough to make them for sure...let me know what you think!

Later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment