Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday.

So I know I've kind of done one of these before with the whole Flashback Friday thing, but being on spring break and away from people for the most part has left me a lot of alone time to reflect on how I ended up where I am today. It's hard to believe I've already been through what feels like so much and I'm only 20 years old, which means there are so many more adventures and experiences to be had.

Specifically, I thought I'd take some time to focus on where I was during spring break in the past and how that led to where and who I am now. For those of you who don't like sappy posts (and who knows, maybe this won't be a sappy post, I'll try my best), you can definitely feel free to close this tab and move on and I'd totally understand. If it's no bother to you, then here we go!

One Year Ago...

It's hard to believe it's already been a year since I graduated from basic training, time is moving way too fast! I definitely wouldn't be the person I am today without this incredible yet daunting experience. Of course I was nervous to go after I swore in and promised my country that I would serve, but it was challenging and rewarding experience that I'm still so thankful that I went through to this day.

A lot of people always ask me "What was it like?" or "Was it really hard?" To answer those questions, it was unlike anything I've ever experienced. It was constantly waking up early to train, practice marching, go through military training classes, and always trying to squeeze every possible thing into a single day while military training instructors are constantly yelling in your face. It was stressful and intense and at times I wanted to just quit, but what helped me get through it were the people I became close with in my flight going through the same exact thing and the overwhelming support I received from my friends and family back home.

In the end, basic training was and wasn't hard at the same time. I don't know. It's difficult to explain this further to someone who hasn't gone through it, but to me it makes sense. I hope you all aren't reading this and thinking I'm some kind of hero either, because I'm definitely not. Thousands of people graduate from basic training every week. What makes members of the military heroes are when they're deployed, when they're put in life-or-death situations and choose to fight, when they truly realize that they're a part of something much bigger than themselves and that they may be asked to sacrifice everything for their country.

I don't think I've come to that point yet, but I truly hope I do one day. I believe people are inherently selfish to a degree and mostly live life for themselves, which I'm also guilty of, but if I'm deployed after I graduate from St. Michael's, I'll try my best to serve my country with honor. This is how the military has helped me grow. I've realized that the possibilities of danger, harm, and death are extremely present every day, and my sense of "young invincibility" has adapted accordingly.


My Military Training Instructor (MTI) and I after I graduated from basic training - he may be short, but he was definitely not afraid to yell.
My best friend Tyler Crawford and I after graduation. He helped me get through so much and I can never thank him enough for that.


Two Years Ago...

On a much lighter note, two years ago I was a freshman at St. Michael's and frankly, I had a very different mindset than I do today. Not only is it evident that I've matured physically, but back then, I don't think I really took life all that seriously. I was a pretty big goofball, and I definitely liked being the center of attention. To some degree, I still possess those qualities, but I think I've learned to control them much better now.

We all know that guy that takes the joke too far or cries out for attention too much, and that was probably me to be honest, but I'm thankful that I've gained more control of these qualities for the better. Contrastingly (as to not dwell on the criticisms too much), I remember feeling much more carefree and fun-loving back then too.

Since I was just starting at St. Michael's, I remember getting to know my friend group, loving the new atmosphere, and feeling truly independent as well, which are all feelings I still have today. I've had to make a (mostly) entirely new friend group this semester because basically all of mine went abroad or took a semester off, which has caused me to feel that same rush of excitement with a tinge of anxiety about meeting new people as I felt back then.

I'm grateful for all the new friends this semester has offered me, and I don't think I would've met them or gotten to know them as well in different circumstances, so who knows, maybe everything happens for a reason.

Cait, one of the first friends I made at St. Michael's, and I being goofy after dinner at the Knightstand freshman year. What a throwback! 


Three Years Ago...

Oh man, just going through my Facebook photos and pulling these up made me feel so many emotions. I was a senior in high school three years ago and I was enrolled in the marketing program at my high school which incorporated an organization called Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) into its curriculum. DECA is an organization that prepares high school and college students for careers in business, specifically management, marketing, and hospitality.

Every year they host an International Career Development Conference (ICDC), which tests students' skills in various forms of business, and my high school attended the Orlando, Florida conference in April 2011, but first we had to qualify at the state-level conference in March. Many of my friends were in the marketing program and participated in DECA with me, so it made it not only a great educational experience, but also a fun and unforgettable time with them.

My classmates and I with our state awards - we took it home!
Me with one of my achievement awards - check out that hair!
In short, it's safe to say I've come a long way to get where I am now, and many of the experiences and people of my past have helped me get here. I'm proud of who I am today and I wouldn't change a single thing, but there's still so much more to explore and I'm so blessed to be in the position I am now to take full advantage of everything life has to offer.

If you've got a minute, you should take some time to think about how you got here and how fortunate you truly are, but don't dwell and miss the past! (I'm personally very guilty of this). Look forward to everything that's still coming.

It's a wild ride, but just keep hanging on.


No comments:

Post a Comment